Pages

Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Late Night Musings

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about stereotypes and stigma. I just posted the following comment on my Facebook page, and would also like to share it here:

 I was raised to believe that people in the sex industry are bad, dirty, amoral people. I think most of us grew up hearing these same stereotypes, and most of us still believe them. I've been doing a lot of research on the sex industry for dissertation (and because I've always been fascinated by it), and have been talking to a lot of people that work in the industry. People who work in the sex industry are people, just like you and I. I have been met with nothing but kindness and appreciation from people in the sex industry, as well as sex workers. They understand what it's like to be unfairly judged, and so they don't do it to others. Just an observation that I've made, based on my recent experiences. Conclusion: A lot of the shit that we learn growing up is bullshit. Oh, and I can't wait to finish my degree and move out of CT. The end. Goodnight friends xoxo
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment